Tuesday, December 23, 2014

"This Christmas for me is going to be a completely different experience than I've ever had."

Hey Mom,
Sorry to hear about Grandma. It'll be good to talk in a few days. A little better than an email or two. I think it is a nice thing for her right now, to be free from the suffering she was going through. She was a wonderful lady, and I'll miss her a lot. But yeah, we will talk more on that on Christmas.
I'm emailing today cause we had the missionary Christmas party yesterday, and I didn't get a chance to email because of all the travel and what not to Jinja town. I'm so tired of Ugandan taxis. Especially around Christmas time, cause everyone is traveling to the village and stuff so they cram the taxi vans full of like, 26 people, plus everyone takes chickens with them for Christmas dinner so it smells like B.O. and chicken poop the whole ride. Not my favorite thing, but definitely a thing to remember about my mission haha. The party was nice. We played a bunch of minute to win it games, and had a talent show and ate a bunch of pizza and stuff. Our district sang Silent Night, and I played the piano. I forgot to tell you, I'm playing piano in the branch for sacrament meetings. Haha who would've thought, right? I also got to see some old mission buddies. It was all of Jinja, Iganga, and Mbale zones there so there were like, 42 missionaries there. Funny thing is in those zones right now, there are only 5 white people, so it was pretty African. I did get to throw around a real American Football though, and that was really nice. I miss that sport a lot haha. So yeah, with that party over, we are focused on work now. We had our nice little get together on P-day, and the next few days are just gonna be full of finding. Pres. Chatfield has set some pretty high standards for the mission for this next year. We have to do a LOT more finding. But yeah, it'll be good, I'm excited for it.
Just try to relax a little bit, momma. Christmas is a good time to take a moment and be glad to have the Gospel of Christ in your life. This Christmas for me is going to be a completely different experience than I've ever had, I think. It has been so far. I can really feel the impact that it has had on my testimony, and I'm really starting to get a better grasp on the reality of Jesus Christ's life. It was so much more significant than we really know. I am so thankful for my Savior. I am so thankful for my awesome family. I am so thankful for the Book of Mormon, which so simply describes the Plan of Salvation, and gives the best kind of comfort.
The branch is doing okay. Nothing to complain about. Just the same old stuff, but I guess I am learning to cope with it a little better. The district is okay. There is kind of a sense of rebellion as there are new mission standards set, but hey, agency and stuff. That is a hard principle for me to grasp sometimes, agency. I hate when I know something is good for somebody, and they will actually be happier if they just do it, but then they choose not to do it. It ticks me off sometimes, but I am getting better little by little. I just need to make sure I am doing the things I know I should do. The companion and I are doing a bit better. As I have tried to improve my attitude and stop being a little judgmental piece of dump, we have been able to connect better. I always think back to the talk that Pres. Uchtdorf gave in Priesthood session last conference about the question, "Is it I?" That question has a lot of meaning behind it. So I am trying to improve myself so I can better render service to those around me. As for the work, things are going alright. We should be having 2 baptisms this next Sunday. Geoffry and Monica. The mission as a whole needs 60 baptisms next week to make our goal for the year, so we are all praying really hard. It's down to the wire right now.
I've been able to come to a few conclusions while pondering this last week. People always talk about Busia as this terrible place to serve, and it's the 'land of repentance' and its just hard and not fun and all that. It has a pretty bad reputation. But being here for a little while now, I have come to have a special kind of love for it. I can say this, is it's the most humbling place I have ever been in my entire life, and it's hard, and there are a lot of things that I don't particularly want to deal with here, but I love the work here. I love the branch. I just love the opportunity that I have been given to be able to serve in such a great place. There are things I've learned here, and lessons that I really treasure, that I would not have had anywhere else, and I am extremely thankful for that. My mission is awesome. I love it.
So, I did get the package just yesterday, and that is a miracle right there haha. It was super nice to read the things you guys wrote. Thanks for being the best family ever. It really just made me super happy to have your support. I am still waiting to Christmas to open those 2 envelopes, but the letters you guys wrote, and the love you always give me are already the best gift I could get on Christmas. You guys rock my socks off. Thank you. Funny stories... hmmm... Oh, I met an actual GAY Ugandan last week. People hate homos around here. It's illegal, and people will actually kill you if they find that you are gay. So this guy is a member's brother, and he lives in Busia because if he gets in trouble, he can just cross the border and be safe. Gays are legal in Kenya haha. Anyways, he asked for my ring so he could 'remember me.' Weird. Another odd thing of the week, is we found out there is an RLDS group here in Busia. So we find people all the time with these red copies of the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. They all think it's ours. Dang Apostasy.

Guys, I love ya! I hope things are going really well. I'll keep everyone in my prayers. I can't wait to talk to you on Christmas! I will probably be calling around NOON for you guys. So watch out for that one. I'd hate to miss you haha. Hang in there, and have a great attitude. It pays off handsomely.
Merry Christmas!
Elder Beardall



Jayden's email to Lynn, his Dad this week:

Hey Pops.
Sorry to hear about Grandma. I know it must be hard. It is a lot harder to accept and have faith in doctrines of the gospel when they directly affect part of our life. I am glad it was pretty peaceful, and she went out well. Better to move on than to suffer for months or years. You know, as I have been out here teaching the Plan of Salvation and all those things, and about temple sealings and stuff, I have received a lot of comfort. I honestly am not really super distressed or upset right now. I am just glad that she was in my life. I am glad she raised you well enough to be a great father for me. I am grateful that she doesn't have to continue suffering. Just hang in there, and keep showing others love and support. I have learned that when I struggle with something, or something tragic happens, the best way to cope, is to help others cope. We will be able to talk more about that stuff on Christmas, so hang in there till then.
 
I am learning a lot lately. I am learning to deal with things in a different way, and it has brought me a lot of humility. I notice that pretty much every struggle I have is because I reacted or dealt with something in a way that I could have done better. I am really going to try and focus on being happy. I pray for it every morning and night. I think it is working, but not in the way I expected. I am just more at peace. Things are good, Dad. When I struggle I often think of you guys back home. I got the envelope you sent, and those letters really touched me. It made me super grateful for all of you and the things you do for me. So thank you for raising me in such a way that I could have opportunities, and have a loving home that I can always come to for support. I really do appreciate it, Dad. Hang in there and keep discussing it with the your Heavenly father. I will talk to you 
guys on Thursday. 
 
Love you Dad.











We found a frog in our toilet.

Lil Jay Jay with some shades on. I love this kid.

1 comment: