Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween, Ugandan Style

Momma,
This week. Whew. Lot's of stuff happened this week haha. There have been some really fun times, and some really frustrating times. I'll go ahead and answer your questions first though. The watermelons turned out pretty well, I'll send a picture. Halloween was just a normal day... until night haha. We all dressed up and went over to the Holyoaks' house and trick-or-treated. They gave us home-made kettle corn. It was delightful. As for giving candy to the kids? Nope. they have no clue what Halloween is here. Plus, they have candy here. It's definitely not American candy, but it is candy. The kids always follow me around. It's getting a little annoying sometimes because I guess the previous Elders gave out a bunch of stuff to them. So they literally jump on me and try to grab money and candy and pass along cards out of my pockets. Some of them  I like though. I have a few pictures of kids, so I'll try to send some today. Francise... ugh. He'll come to church and stuff, and he's interested, but man, it is IMPOSSIBLE to meet with him. He is always at work, and the only day we can see him is maybe on Saturdays. It's gonna be hard to progress him, but he seems cool. We have a new investigator named Chris. He moved to America when he was 6, and is living back here now. He's like, 30 I think. But he grew up like, in the ghettos, and he's been in gangs and stuff. He has a hilarious accent. It's like, African-Western-Black-guy... that's how I'm gonna describe it. But yeah, he's coming along. Conference was awesome. Loved it. I was stoked to see all the people I know in the choir haha. Weirded out to see so many white people though. Sheesh. Rami... I guess it's getting a little better. We really are improving, and we are bonding more, too. He is teaching me some French, so if I go to Rwanda, I'll be in prime condition. Haha, I'm actually picking it up quite well. I'm becoming good buddies with my DL, Elder Morris. He's tight. I'll definitely be bros with him when I'm home. He just lives down in American Fork. We've just had some really good times. And with the changes, we are teaching less lessons, but more meaningful lessons. So they are more challenging and you really have to follow the spirit now. It's getting a lot better.
I would hug the Holyoaks for you, but Elder Holyoak is a super cowboy, and he doesn't like hugs, and I can't hug girls... So yeah. Sorry. I've been getting like, 20 emails a week. I have to really cut them short haha. BUT you are ALWAYS first. Then President Chatfield. Haha I can't wait to get letters from people. It'll be nice to have something I don't have to rush to read. And I'm stoked to call you guys on Christmas. I'll have an hour I guess. I'm not finding the time to get dropbox to load, so I will try each week till I can get it haha. You have to remember the internet sucks here. Oh well. I will try and get the pics coming more often. Haha, I can't wait for that package! I was gonna ask you to send playing cards, because the only ones we can find are just printed paper, and super just garbage quality, or the ones you find in Kampala are normal, but they cost 33,000. It's ridiculous. That's like, 13 bucks. Not gonna fly.
Halloween is a great holiday! Candy is just great. Haha. I hope it wasn't TOO boring for you. You always like to see the little kids' costumes though, right? haha. I'm glad you two got to go to the temple again! The new film is so awesome, right?! Ah, I miss the temple so much. I really took it for granted. So go as much as you can for me, really. It is the best place ever, and I'm realizing that because I don't have the opportunity to go anymore for 2 years. Ugh. I'm praying for Lindsay. Hope everything goes well. The Jazz... I'm glad I'm out here while they suck. Hopefully that'll turn around when I get home! haha I'm glad polo is good too! They are probably missing me. I was an awesome coach to them haha.
 
The food.... It's a lot of carbs. Potatoes, bread, Matoke, Posho, noodles, rice, and that's about it. haha. Some meat in there, but that meat isn't very good haha. oh well, better than nothing. Yeah, mangoes are coming, and they are super cheap right now. WE bought 30 of them for like, 3,000. Just over a dollar. Same with oranges. But the oranges here are green, and a quarter of the size as they are back home. There a ton of birds here. And the HUGE ones always are eating garbage. They are some sort of stork, but we call them Gundi-birds. Yep. Pretty funny. And there are always pigs and cows and chickens walking around everywhere. Yeah, I'm keeping in touch with my bros! haha Kay, I have to end this email. Thanks for the prayers and love, and remember just how much I love you all, and I'm praying for you too! I love to hear how you are all doing. I would have a lot more to write here, but you probably want to keep your sanity. I'll just have a LOT to tell you about when I'm home safe ;) hehe Buh bye!
Love,
Elder Beardall

Jackfruit....yum?

 Children in Masaka

Stripling Warriors?

Carved watermelons

Elder Beardall's appointment book

Elder Beardall goofing around

No comments:

Post a Comment