Monday, October 21, 2013

Still in Masaka, but "switched sides"


Hi momma!
Things are going... yeah they are going here. haha. Transfers last week was a little discouraging for me. I'm still in Masaka, which is great, but I switched sides. So I deal with all new people. Me and Elder Rami got the transfer news while we were at a member's house, and we were told that we would switch sides, and stay together.  But yeah, still here, still with Elder Rami, Elder Morris is still DL, and he is training a new Elder. His name is Elder Oliphant. He's from South Africa, and he is just a powerhouse. He's been out teaching with the missionaries a ton before he came, and he really just knows what he's doing. I myself am still completley lost, though haha. I didn't get to go to Kampala because I'm staying in Masaka, so I didn't get to meet with Pres. We'll see if I get to marry any people here haha. I still have to fiddle around with dropbox, see if I can get it working on these computers. In a typical day, we wake up, sort of exercise, take showers, try and fix something edible, and go to study. After the studies, we go walk around and proselyte. 10 in the morning till 9:30 at night. Long days. Then we plan, and go to bed! That's really about it. Highlight of my week was when the DL came back with the package you guys sent, and some letters. One of those lemonade packets exploded in the package, so everything was sticky, but the rest was just fine. Thank you so much! haha It was fun to have all those things, and have real candy for once.  But yeah, the whole "other side of missionary work" is like, all the crap we have to deal with. Some people are really cruel to us here. We've had stuff thrown at us, people spit on us, and bodas try to hit you with their mirrors as they drive past. Then there is all the corruption we have to deal with, and drama in the branch, and all the drama in our district. There is a lot you really don't know about haha. Like I said, you really have to be here to know anything about what it's like. Rami and I are very slowly getting better, but with more time, I have hope it can get better.
Yeah, that's a relief there isn't extra complications with Lindsay's surgery. I'm praying for her every night, don't worry. I really hope things work out, and she can figure out some sort of employment to help with that problem. Ah, I really miss the mountains and weather in Utah. haha, it's just hot and super rainy here. Goes from the dryest and dustiest place on Earth, to the most wet and muddy place on Earth in the span of like, 5 minutes. The rain is seriously ridiculous here haha.
Man, I can't wait to talk to Travis about his mission. Russia would be so hard. I couldn't even imagine. Tell him I say hi! I'm so glad you are doing well spiritually, mom. That really is the one thing I want out of this mission, is just to help the ones I love to come closer to Christ. I have to remind myself every day that I'm providing that opportunity. That's really what keeps me going. Please, keep letting me know how you and the family are growing. I talked to Elder Bennion on the phone the other day. Elder Rami's previous comp is training him. He really doesn't have the hardest area, there are worse one's apparently in the Bush up north. But yeah, rats in the apartments. A lot of fun creatures everywhere. I've killed over 100 cockroaches probably, and all sorts of weird things that might kill me. I laughed when I read that Lindsay found a few spiders in her garage and was freaking out about it. There's a lot worse things here. I've gotten pretty used to it.
I'm trying to stay motivated. It really is the hardest thing I have ever experienced, just remembering why I'm here. There are so many things I could complain about, but I am going to try and stay positive. Sometimes I get super homesick, and tired, and just want to give up, but I'm trying to trust in the Lord to give me strength every day. I gave a talk yesterday in Sacrament meeting about Adversity. I need to follow my own advice, and understand that God just needs to test our faith before we can have a witness. I love you all so much, and love to hear about how you are doing. I hope you all continue to stay strong in this gospel. Thanks for all the support, I really couldn't do this without your help.
Love,
Elder Beardall

                        Jayden got his birthday package with streamers and balloons.


Dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment